picture depicting a patient receiving treatment in a clinic - EHIC - GHIC

We thought we would share this article from the BBC we read with our customers with regard to how the old EHIC card will now work. In a nutshell, it basically tells us that if you have an existing EHIC card that is still valid, then you may use it to access emergency healthcare whilst on holiday here in Spain (or in Europe). Once it expires, or just before it expires you should apply for the GHIC which will give you the same cover. If your EHIC is due to expire whilst you are travelling, then you should apply for the GHIC before you go. Of course, as per all of the advice you should ensure that you also have holiday insurance in addition rather than just relying on the card.